Sweet-Raw Energy Bars
Why I love this recipe: they are super fast to make, every ingredient is awesome for your health and they taste amazing. They are also vegan, gluten free and nut free (so you can serve them anywhere… including school!!!)
Yields 12-16 bars
What you’ll need
- food processor, or kick-arse high speed blender
- 11×7″ (ish) baking dish
- large mixing bowl
- parchment paper
- Sweet-Raw Energy Bar ingredients
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 4 tbs chia seeds
- 20 fresh pitted dates (medjool are best, or use unsulfered regular dates)
- 6 tbsp coconut oil (unrefined is best)
- 4 tbsp raw cacao, or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
After blending ingredients
- 6 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
- In a food processor or high speed blender, pulse the dry ingredients quickly. Do not over-process, you want it a little crunchy.
- Place the mixture in a bowl and set aside.
- Add half of the dates and the rest of the wet ingredients to the food processor.
- Run the processor for 30 seconds, then add the rest of the dates one at a time while the machine is running until the mixture is smooth (stir occasionally with a spatula, or add a dash of water).
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, add oats and poppy seeds and stir until well combined (I used my hands to really get the mixture well combined!).
- Press the mixture evenly into a 11 x 7-inch baking dish (make sure it becomes quite compact).
- Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Cut into bars. Wrap them in paper and store in an air-tight container.
- Will keep awesome in the fridge, or freezer (at room temperature the bars will become soft, so be mindful on hot days).
This recipe was adapted directly from the Nourish Your Roots recipe website