EAT REAL FOOD!
It will not surprise you when I say people who want to loose weight always ask me about nutrition:
- what should I eat?
- how much should I eat?
- how many calories should I eat?
- what time of day should I eat?
- what should I eat at each meal?
- what do you think about _____ diet?
- what should I drink? … the answer to this is water… period
You may be surprised to know that the answer is almost always the same, when it comes to what anyone should eat for weight-loss:
If it will sit on your counter and rot within a week, it is good for you (exceptions: nuts & seeds eat them about 1/4c at a time, 1-2 times a day).
Think about it…
- Foods which will rot in a week: fruits, vegetables, cooked grains, legumes, meat, eggs, dairy products, and homemade baking (eat these foods! They are easy to find, because they are located on the perimeter of the grocery store)
- Food which looks the same after a week (sometimes after weeks/months/years on end): crackers, wonder bread (and the like), store bought baked goods, processed meats (hotdogs, deli meats, salted meats, etc), sauces & dressings, junk food (bars, chips, etc), fast food, fried food, pickled foods, and other preserved food (these foods destroy your waistline and are easy to find, because they make-up the 99% of the centre of the grocery store).
We are meant to eat real food…
Somewhere down the line, marketing started to run our kitchens and we switched from eating to live, over to living to eat. If you eat many items from the second group (foods which look the same after a week), start by aiming to eat foods only from the first group (and wash this down with a boat load of water!). It will mean that you get to cook more meals from scratch (as opposed to store-bought and sauce laden meals), which is good for your health & your waistline!!! If you only eat fresh food (never the second group of foods) and you are still struggling with your weight, let’s talk food journal, or thyroid concerns… but I guarantee you will reach your healthy goal weight with real food!
Stay tuned for ideas on meals and snacks… and feel free to contact me with to request specific recipes, or meal ideas.
Now… go eat real food and drink water until your pee is clear
photo via http://www.purplecarrotkc.com/