Diner is often a daunting thought and a super easy way to let your nutrition get off-track.
One of my favourite go-to meals is sooo simple, fast & delicious:
1. The Healthy Grain/Carb: cook some quinoa, brown rice, or spaghetti squash
2. The (always healthy) Vegetables: steam vegetables in a frying pan
3. The Protein: add some cooked tilapia, sole, or preferred lean meat OR to make it vegan, top with your favorite legume (lentils, chickpeas, etc)
4. Portions: if you were to divide your diner plate into quarters, 1/4 should be protein, 1/4 should be HEALTHY carb, 1/2 should be veg & fruit (you can always ramp-up the protein portion, but not the carb)
Delicious vegetable suggestion:
- vegetable suggestions: parsnips, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, and red onion
- add some cumin and fresh rosemary to the heated butter/coconut oil, before you add your veggies … Mmmmmmm!
- If you cannot wing-it and need a recipe, try: http://bevcooks.com/2012/02/roasted-root-vegetables-with-lentils/ (but omit the ricotta and replace with the proteins listed above)
- love a little “crunch”, cook until al dente and then add fresh diced red peppers, or watercress, or fresh spinach leaves, or bean sprouts to the top (ie. keep these items un-cooked)
PS – Be certain to cook extra, so you can bring a nutritious lunch to work!