Breakfast “Dessert” Porridge
I should mention that I purchased all of my ingredients at Steve’s Independent. If you purchase chia seeds, buckwheat (or oats) and toppings (ie. seeds and nuts) at bulkbarn, you may save a few extra dollars (I find the chia seeds less expensive there).
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats OR steel cut oats – soaked
- 1/2 cup plain coconut milk OR hemp milk OR rice milk OR cows milk OR (you get the idea)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup, or honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- seeds (I used sesame, sunflower & pumpkin… school safe this way)
- nuts (choose raw, for optimal nutrition, but don’t send to school!
- unsweetened coconut
- Soak the buckwheat groats in water overnight, in a bowl. If you want to eat it faster, I think you could get away with soaking for 1 hour. The soaking allows the film on top of the groats to come off. If you use steel cut oats, it will allow the oats to swell.
- Rinse and drain the groats
- Place all ingredients (not the toppings) into a blender and lightly blend until mixed. You could use a hand held immersion blender, or magic bullet.
- Portion into bowls, and add toppings
*** place into a reusable and tight sealing container for a FANTASTIC and nutritious lunch!