Seriously Awesome: Healthed-Up Carrot Cake + Healthy Alternative to Cream Cheese Frosting
CAKE INGREDIENTS (choose organic when possible):
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat, or spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups grated peeled apples
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional) + 1/2 cups diced figs (optional)
ICING INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS:
- 1 C Greek yogurt (I used Stonyfield Farms)
- A good splash of vanilla extract (I used 1 t)
- 1/2 C powered sugar, sifted
- Whisk all ingredients until they become a bit thick.
- Place in the fridge to thicken even more (at least 30 minutes).
- Spread on cool cake (or cupcakes)
- Mix together the sugar, oil and eggs until the mixture is slightly thickened. Sift the flour, soda, salt & cinnamon together.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Add the carrots, apples, raisins and walnuts. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Bake in a greased and floured pan, 9″x13″x2″ or a bundt type pan or two round cake pans. Bake at 350ºF for 35-40 minutes if using the 13″ long pan.
- Check for doneness by piercing the center of the cake with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If you use the round cake pans, check for doneness about 5 to 10 minutes earlier as they are smaller and you don’t want to over bake the cake.
- Let the cake cool and ice with the now thickened greek yogurt icing.
If you are making a layered carrot cake in the round pans and want to put some icing between the layers, double this recipe to make sure you have enough.