Tree Hugger Crunch Bars
Why I love this recipe: it tastes sweet, has tones of healthy fats and vitamins and will work for any crowd: vegan, gluten free & nut free
Yields 12 “snack size”, or 6-8 large bars
- A 9×5 inch loaf pan
- parchment paper
- medium, or large size sauce pan
- Tree Hugger Crunch Bar ingredients
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (opt for unrefined)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Camino organic dark cocoa powder)
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup (or to taste)
- pinch of fine grain sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup natural brown rice crisp cereal (I use Nature’s Path organic rice cereal)
- 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
NOTE: I think the most economical one stop shop for these ingredients is Bulk Barn
- For the crunch bar: Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way. In a pot over low heat, melt the coconut oil and then whisk in the cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt and vanilla. Once the mixture is smooth remove from heat and stir in the rice crisp cereal & seeds. Pour mixture into prepared pan, smooth out, and then freeze for 10-15 minutes, or until the chocolate is solid.
- Remove crunch bar from freezer and cut into 6-12 small bars.
- Serve straight from the freezer or fridge. Bars will melt slightly at room temperature so don’t suggest keep them out long.
- Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer.
This recipe was adapted directly from the fabulous Oh She Glows Mini Crunch Bar recipe.